Friday, December 5, 2008

Return to innocence

It never seizes to amaze me that I am now a mother. I have been one for almost 2 years now and sometimes in the rigamarole of life, I suddenly feel overwhelmed by it all. For those who believe in star signs and stuff, me being a Cancerian would mean that home and hearth were the very reasons for my existence. Yet somehow I have always gone against the strictures of my star signs. Make no mistake, I love being a mother. Each day is an adventure in itself. It truly drives home the point my mother (for that matter, all mothers) made when I was up to no good as a child - 'You will know when you become a mother'. Life has come full circle.
My daughter is still in the uncorrupt stage of life, where she will tear a book and then honestly own up to it. She can at the same time be annoyingly difficult and heart-breakingly cute. She doesn't need to be taught to share, she doesn't need to be taught to love unconditionally, she trusts with her whole heart. She goes along with our mood swings, she can laugh at the silliest of antics and most important of all, she gets a good nights' sleep.
So when then do they become the adults that we are? Honestly, very rarely is there a reason where we do things that are not motivated by some personal gain and trust does not find a place in our vocabulary. Think about it - when was the last time we actually laughed whole heartedly at some silly joke.
Well you can't really blame the human race - it is a price we have to pay for lives we lead. But for the first time after becoming a mother, I am actually meeting a facet of myself that I would never have met otherwise. I too was once like my daughter - oblivious to the vagaries of this world and content with what I had. For me, its been a way of trying to make amends with myself. I can truly say that I have now become more patient, more understanding, more appreciative of unconditional love and more prone to finding happiness in the most silliest of actions. As much as we talk of world peace and finding our true selves, I don't really think this world is going to let us do that. But on the personal level, maybe we should try and spend some time with the young ones and see life from their untainted eyes. It may not be a life changing experience, but it just might help you look at the brighter side of life a little more often.

No comments: