I had made a resolve when I started this blog, that I would make an entry every day. If for nothing, it would be to give myself a daily exercise in being able to think-out-of-the-box and write. Something which I felt I had lost touch with, thanks to the humdrum of our lives. But the last two days have been enlightening in more ways than one. When Anoushka completed a year of her existence, people began to ask us whether we planned for the second one. It sent Sudhakar and me in peals of laughter, coz, we couldn't imagine going through 17 hours of labour (Ok!! that was me alone, but he was with me in the labour room all the way through), the sleepless nights, the tension over coughs, colds, fevers and all those bouts of crying over God alone knows what.
Make no mistake, we were not complaining. It's just that we feel we have enough of love to give one child in this lifetime. But I always wondered what it was like looking after twins or even two children, and I got a taste of that in the past two days. I was babysitting my neighbour's child Amulya who happened to share a birthday with Anoushka. Together they were the equivalent of fraternal twins on an adrenaline overdose. Besides changing the geography of the house, their daily ablutions too seemed to be in tandem. When one was done, the other had to go. Lunch time saw me turn into a school marm - sat them down together, brought out two bowls of lunch and alternated between bites. Somehow they actually listened and sat in one place. Next was nap time... both sleep at different times and unfortunately the putting-to-sleep period overlaps. That too got done. That's when I thought I would have lunch, and catch up with some work. Hardly did I settle down to that and the one got up to whine. Put her down again and then the second one woke up. Finally an hour and half of relief. Following which both got up, both yelled for milk, both wanted to be carried till they got their bottle. And then it was back to havoc time.
And the end of each day, all I wanted to do was flop down and go to sleep. Thankfully my darling of husband allowed me to do so. But then the end of these two days was with Anoushka developing a bad cold and the cycle continues. Whatever said and done, it reaffirms my resolve - Hum do... and God help ... hamara sirf ek :-)
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
hahahah..I got exhausted reading this one. I do a reality chk with my one and only when i feel like having another.. i am about to crack.
Post a Comment