Its Christmas Eve... well at least its almost the end of Christmas Eve when I sit down to write this. I guess at some point in our lives, we have always asked this question - I have too - Is there really a God out there? Of course, great minds have debated this and I don't aim to negate them. But here is my take on things - I have, for most of what I consider my mature life, believed that rather than an entity called God, there is a superior power that governs us all. God is just an etymological convenience. The cycle of life and death is ample enough evidence (for me atleast) that there is something called a balance in life. Making way if you please.
So keeping that in mind - just as there is a positive superior power, nature dictates that there should be an equally powerful negative power, which I guess constitutes what we call the devil and his legionnaires.
I wonder where the concept of good triumphs over evil came from. If that were true for every person that lives, then the concept of injustice would never have existed. Things should balance itself out in a person's lifetime. But this obviously does not happen.
Of course, I can't explain the miracle of life in this way, but then I also can't accept the often used adage that everything happens for a reason - because if it does - why does a good family lose its 16 year old daughter to a hit and run case, why are new born babies dumped in the garbage, why is such a vast population starving. If there is truly a God out there, shouldn't his benevolence bail some of his people out of their senseless misery.
I believe that there is a superior power, a force that guides the direction of peoples' life. But then I feel that this guiding force is not perfect. Just like us... this force too tries it best. It succeeds in some case and in some others it is left wanting. Maybe that's why some of us lead a balanced life and some others are not so lucky.
But I also feel happy that in man's quest for a happy life, he developed a concept called religion. Customs and traditions which give our human life hope - the hope of better tommorrow, a meaning into a life that at times can look meaningless. Its misuse and misintrepretation apart, it is a beautiful thing. And that's what struck me this Christmas Eve - that on festivals such as these, all pain and suffering some how seem better, that somewhere and somehow, things will look up. And hopefully it will be for all.
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment