When I was growing up, Mom always taught me... well! the same things that all moms teach, share your things, give to the needy and stuff like that. I was always told to do something good for others if it was in my capacity, but never to wish for something in return. As I grew up, the thought remained. I have done things, which many would consider charitable, but there has been one thought nagging me. Do I do things to bribe God into doing something good for me.
Let me explain, I do get charitable thoughts in mind and many a times carry them out, but then, as with any other human being, I too have desires. I sometimes wonder whether my motivation to do something charitable is actually driven by some personal itch. Because if it is, then the purpose of being charitable is defeated.
I don't really get upset, if I dont get what I want, I know things take time. But worries me the most is what the power up there thinks of me. I don't want to give out the feeling that I am being charitable just because I want something in return. Most of my wants are the happiness of my family and if that is given to me I don't have an issue.
Come to think of it, even I wouldn't like myself if I was doing good to others simply because I wanted to gain something. It negates all my efforts. But how exactly do you make that distinction?
Would appreciate if the One up there sent some advice my way. If not directly then through one of your minions would be good enough. :)
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The IS knows only himself/herself (Richard Bach). Wanting to do good and wondering if it's hypocritical is natural. The assumption that God will do anything "GOOD FOR YOU" is flawed. "He sends his rain on the good n evil alike..." etc. Just go ahead and do it. That you feel good about it is a spin off. Thinking that you are "owed" brownie points because of what you did is snickerable (yes I know the word doesn't exist) 'coz whatever good deed you do, even if you go lay down your life, you will still see that your act is inadequate. The primary beneficiary in any case is you for in giving u recieve...etc. Am reminded of the seen in Evan Almighty when Evan (Steve Carell) tells God (Morgan Freeman) that he has "plans" and can't do the thing he's being asked to do. God has a hearty laugh at that. I can imagine God having a similar hearty laugh at the title of this post. :)
Post a Comment