Friday, December 19, 2008

Fashion "uncovered"

Its slowing inching towards that time of the year again. The week-long party session. Christmas and New Year back to back. For us it is more special since the last weeks of December hold many special memories - Our wedding anniversary on the 21st. Christmas on 25th. Anoushka's Birthday on the 29th and of course, ringing in the New Year on 31st. But the reason for this post is something that I have observed over the years (I still try to convince myself that I haven't put many summers behind me). Christmas and New Year masses for the Catholics is a well-looked forward to occassion. But let me add here that is not all piousness that brings people to church. Of course, Christmas and New year Bashes that are conveniently timed right after mass is one attraction. The other is the unscheduled fashion show.
Fashionistas of the city, need only to come to church on Christmas eve to take a gander at our young men and women strutting their stuff - almost always a self made creation. You have it all - plunging necklines, backlines, sidelines. More often you end up wondering if any material did go into this creation.
The men are not to be left behind - For a couple of years, it was western wear that took the Christmas fashion scene by storm - then loyalists turned to Indian outfits - and soon you would see the varying options for blouses, lehengas, saree materials even.
For those of us who want to know what the fashion scene will herald during the New Year, the Christmas Eve and New Year mass at church will offer you a good preview. OF course, I mean to say that you will find this only at the churches frequented by the lot that have the time and means to decide on their fashion statements.
While I am all for fashion and don't really have a problem where it is flaunted... I do have a problem flaunting my stuff at the God who created it. Places of worship for me, still hold the sanctity of well!! - GOD.
I still believe, if God gave it to you flaunt it - but do you have flaunt it in front of him - I mean he kinda knows what he gave doesn't he. I am not the one, who covers her hair or shoulders when she goes to church. But I sure as hell, don't have my assets fighting for space to be hidden behind my blouse. I am a staunch believer in there is a place and time for everything. So ladies and gentlemen - let the flaunting begin - but for heaven's sake, do you need God's approval before you do so. He is omnipresent - am sure he will see you even if you cover up a bit in his presence

No comments: