Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Live to eat!!!!

I love to eat... though looking at me one would not really say so. My fascination with food, started long past the time my mother would have liked. Even now relatives wonder whether I still have the same aversion to eating that I displayed in my first few years on earth. I guess the gastronomic bug bit me when I was in Manipal - a place where even 50 bucks ensured that you were king for the evening. Of course am not sure the same applies even now (inflation / recession / blah and blah).
Sudhakar and I would spend most of time checking out all the eating places there were on offer, a habit that continues even now. Now for most people, the ambience of a restaurant or an eatery of any sorts place makes a huge difference, but I don't think that really mattered for us... it just mattered that the food was good. Take for example the endless amount of gobi burji at Chutney Mary for 20 bucks or the heavenly chilli prawns washed down sprite at Dynasty or even the pot bellies at Shack Point (which I believe is not there any more) or even the Your Choice specials of heavenly chicken, mashed potatoes and veggies (all for 35 bucks!!!).
Chutney Mary was attached to a bar that had its share of seedy people, Dynasty had a Shanthi Saagar atmosphere to it, and Your Choice literally functioned out of a garage.
Fast forward to Bangalore - and here to am really happy that we have had a chance to experience the best of foods in the strangest of ambience - here is a recount of just some of the interesting places we have supped at, either together or individually...
Though am not a fan of ragi mudde and chicken curry, I was once taken to this seedy place in depths of Majestic bus stand which just had some tables and stools in what looked like a cow shed. Though I couldn't get the muddes down, the chicken curry was heavenly. Then there was this place close to Church Street Empire, where Chinese food was served in a car garage... literally... Sudhakar recently visited an Akada - a muslim gymkhana where the food is actually cooked by these pahalwans. He visited there on a jumma and the house special - biriyani was something he can't stop talking about.
Coming a little up market - a favorite joint is Soo Ra Sang - a Korean restaurant where we always take the King's Table - which comes complete with a grill to cook your food too. The sea food and bulgogis here are mindblowing as is the pork gravy item. Dahlia, a Japanese restaurant was another experience, which had chairs placed on a floor where your legs would dangle below...
the sushis here are the real deal. Sahib Sind Sultan in Forum... with its pre-independence train station decor has some great quail dishes and a too-kill-for Zamindari achari aloo. Gufa in Jayanagar is a complete cave with the sound effects and the 'laltains'. The food is not much to speak of but the ambience clearly unique.
There are several more places we have visited where the food has been great but then am on the topic of ambience - which I feel can help to great extent, but then if you love good food, don't look beyond your plate :)

4 comments:

Al Nims Media said...

50 bucks ensured that you were king for the evening.

I was there in Manipal from 1996-99, but always felt the prices were higher than normal across eateries. Some how I felt the restaurants there were trying to fleece the floating population comprising mainly of students.

Me! In words said...

hmmm... being fleeced in Manipal would have to be a very subjective thing. I was there between 1999-2001 and never had an issue. And compared to Mangalore - food prices in Manipal rocked. And compare that to prices in Bangalore at the same time and you would wonder whether you were in the same country. :)A fleecing a Manipal student... hmmm even the firang students were aces at a getting a good bargain there

Sharon said...

Ruth, is that you? Here we are, bumping into each other in cyberspace again! :)

Interesting blog, as a mom, I sure connect!

Sharon

Me! In words said...

yup Sharon, its me alrite'. My small space in the cyberworld where I can actually say what I want, when I want. :)