I work from home and I still get to hear how lucky I am to be able to pursue my career and look after my baby. Well, I don't deny it, it really is true... I am among possibly the lucky few whose resume will not reflect a break barring my maternity leave. In this day and age, such a resume can work wonders for you. But I must also add for all those out there, who think this is the idyllic situation, that its not all roses.
Let's take the work situation. Being a journalist, my job demands that I remain online and accessible throughout the day. I am for most times. But then Anoushka decides to go ballistic on the days I have a lot of work to do. From her point of view it makes complete sense. Mom is at home all the time, why does she sit with the laptop, let her play with me. So you have a bawling kid, when you are speaking to a client in Singapore. Or she will need to poop just when you need to send an urgent mail. Your work schedule and its completion depends entirely on your child's routine. Her mealtimes, bath times, play times etc all have to be worked in along with a packed schedule from office. And God save you on the days that the domestic help does not turn up or on the days that your baby falls ill. And trust me they happen only when you can least afford for anything to go wrong. Whether you believe it or not there was one day, when I actually was on the phone with Mumbai, sending a mail on the laptop, feeding Anoushka a chapati and cooking a gravy for dinner all at the same time, with the laptop in the kitchen.
There are days when it can all get to you and I have just sat down, put my head in my hands and bawled my heart out.
On the work front is another scenario that you will find. The syndrome out of sight is out of mind fits here perfectly. While people remember you when there is work to be done from your department, you will not be remembered at other times. Bosses forget to appraise you with the rest, important office circulars don't get mailed to you, it is taken for granted that since you are working at home you have all the time in the world to take on bakra work and worse still, for those colleagues who don't have kids - they believe that since you work from home, you don't do anything at all. One guy even called me at 9 in the morning and asked me if he had woken me up!!!. Such indifference does hurt a lot. You tend to miss out on the social aspects of being in a work environment.
But make no mistake. Just because I do feel low at times does not mean I am not enjoying the good luck I have to see my daughter grown each day.
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
hmm...you made me think on that one. I am right now at the point of going berserk without even having thr pressure of work. hats off to you though ruth. You really inspire.
Thanks for calling me inspirational. But honestly, am just reacting to the situation I am in. And I guess any one of us would in a similar situation.
The one word that comes to mind when I think of you is: Discipline
Post a Comment