Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I am a part of history

As a student in school, I loved history. I always wondered if those people who made the history we know today ever realised that their actions would be so well documented and remembered - literally speaking they were making history and they may not have even been aware of it. It also got my then childish mind into wondering what it is that I could do to have my name remembered in history... hmmm you could say that I come with a lot of history... but trust me I don't think it is something that should go down in history that is publicly known.
The childish line of thinking is long over, but make no mistake, I still want to be a part of history and I have now come to the conclusion that in a way I am.
Let me explain. I belong to the generation where TV did exist, but not cable TV or DTH. With the advent of this technology and my own use of it, I now am a part of its history. Long distances phone calls did exist during my childhood time, but then mobile phones did not... with the cellular age, I too became a part of its history. I can actually tell my child that owned a cell phone that looked like a brick... she will find that historically coz by the time she uses one, it might be of some fantastical nature.
I was in Kuwait when it was invaded, I lived through 52 days of invasion and then was a part of India's largest evacution effort - an experience which definitely deserves a place in my personal history. I have lived to see the Hailey's comet make its only appearence for the next couple of generations. I was in Bangalore during the serial blasts, I identified with pain of 9/11, 26/11... of the several other atrocities that routinely get thrown in our face thanks to live TV (yet another progression during my lifetime)
I have seen so many firsts and belong to the generation that experienced them for the first time. If you work on the same logic, my parents too have been a part of a great history... I mean think of it... my dad lived at a time when his home did not have an electricity supply. There is a standard family joke that my mom's home got electricity way before my dad's home did!
So when if you have ever thought like I did on being a part of history, fret not! you are a part of it. Among the so many other things that you have invariably been a part of, you can also add that you were around when America got its first coloured (yes I know its politically incorrect) president.

No comments: