Monday, March 23, 2009

I earned it... its mine

I belong to the unfortunate class of people in this country. The one called the salaried class. We are the ones' who bear the brunt of what the end of the financial year brings - Income Tax. It would have been one thing if the system of taxation made sense and there was no way of escaping it. If everyone paid it, without exemption, then I would feel a bit justified. But of course its only the salaried people coz your bank statement is going to reflect a salary.
Another consolation would have been is that even if I was among the unlucky ones who do pay the government a tax, seeing it put to good use would have made me feel better. But I still live in a rented house, the roads can put the moon surface to shame, the country reeks of corruption. I have to shell out for everything from a ration card to a voter's id card ...
Every year I end up blocking or losing large chunks of MY hardearned money either in a bid to save MY money or as a penalty pay a government who does diddly squat for me.
I would like to be a good citizen, but I honestly don't see why the onus of paying for infrastructure and the like (which is actually the government's responsibility to give ) is only on us the salaried class. How many crores of rupees get laundered in the portals of this country more so in the hallowed bastions of those upholders of the law.
Its more like they can't be satisfied. Not only do these politicians make more than they should be... but they also end up pocketing our hard earned money. Where else could it possibly go if it is not being put to good use.
And these same guys have the audacity to come back to us to look for our votes to put them back at the recieving end of these endless cash drops.

No comments: