Monday, June 22, 2009

Back to Basics

I recently bought myself an iPhone. I had the option of buying several other models of phone. But the childish part of me wanted to be associated with the iPhone. And so I bought it, not through the grey market, but rather from an authentic dealer for the real price it is worth. It pinched a lot monetarily, but at the end of the day I had what I wanted.

Call it stupid of me but I did not really research on the features that the iPhone offered. I mean, when you pay a bomb, it expect it to come fully loaded. As I began using it I realised, that a lot of features that my old (and less expensive phone) had were not on this phone. Of course, it did have a lot that my old phone did not. But I started to pine for my old phone or least for one that could fill the void that was created.

A thought then struck me. We move forward in many ways - technology, thought processes, careers, methods of approach to so many social aspects of life. But when you really look at things, you seem the happiest with having just the basics. More often than not, we find people who deal with technological R & D expertise personally using the very simplest of technologies. A 30k phone may earn you brownie points with your peer crowd, but you need to look after it like you would a crystal front tooth. Thats when you pine for its cheaper and more hardier counterpart.

Gourmet cooks who have access to the best of ingredients and foods, almost always prefer dal-chaawal meals. Think of it yourself... you may love eating out, but try doing it for a week in a row and you too will pine for the simplicity of home cooked meal.

When it comes to home made meals - today's home-makers (me included) prefer the convenience of packaged spices... the food does turn out good, but try the same with time tested home made spices and you will learn to appreciate food in a whole new way.

It may be an old point that I scoffed on as a youngster, but there is a ring of truth to the adage - old is gold (as corny as the contrivation seems)

1 comment:

MEGalomaniac said...

Old is gold ... yes sometimes this is ture.

But on the other hand, ignorance is bliss. So looking for new ways, ideas, inspirations is a must.. in the kitchen and otherwise!