Saturday, May 30, 2009

God - misconceived concept not a reality

I haven't blogged in quite a while. While most of you may think that this was the result of me running out of the blog fizz, the fact is that there has been a lot going on in my personal life. Agreed it goes on in everybody's life and mine need be no exception. Anyways, the past weeks has strengthened a conviction I have had for a while now - that of the non-existence of God.

I come from a pretty devout Catholic family. In the chance that my mother reads this she may consider it blasphemy but then I guess by now am entitled to my own opinion. After I came to an age where I could reason for myself, I kept wondering, how is it possible to have a God, whom we all turn to as the supreme being and saviour, but who lets a number of injustices take place. When we say "what goes around, comes around" what could an infant with leukaemia possibly have done wrong to deserve to be born with the illness, only to suffer and die in a short life span. Why do battered housewives suffer the wrath of their deranged husbands for no fault of theirs? Why are innocent animals prey to human atrocities. 

If one were to say that a balance has to be struck and hence the polar opposites are in existence, then why do people who have been wronged, go to their graves without seeing justice being served. If there was one God, would he/she have propogated multiple religions, all in the name of which politics is played and people are segregated. If the one God preached the equality of men, would there be a heirarchy in every religion, would there be a caste system, would there be bloodshed? Of course, you may say religion is man-made. If God truly existed, would'nt he have ensured that there was no difference in the way people percieved him.  

We have been conditioned from childhood to attribute the occurrence of all good things to God and to leave the solution to all problems to him. But from what I have seen, it is only when you apply your reasoning to a situation, will you come up with a solution to what is bugging you. I don't really see God's role in this. Of course, you could consider your prayers a way of finding hope and maybe even as means of using God as a sounding board. But honestly how many times have your problems been solved thanks to divine intervention and how many times because of a stand that you have decided to take on the matter. 

I think we all have an equal amount of good and bad in us. It is just up to us and the person we are, to see which of the two determines the human that we become and the lives that we live. 

1 comment:

Shan said...

Interesting, Ruth! See my post on caste systems and religion at http://nolife.sulekha.com

Shan