Thursday, December 12, 2013

They say laughter is the best medicine


... and I would not argue with them. More than all the comedy we see on TV and other entertainment forms, I enjoy laughing out loud at some situations we just happen to find ourselves in. Sample some that have happened to us recently.

We were in the middle of horrendous traffic in Koramangala with the radio playing the song "Sex Bomb". Now Anoushka who was quietly sitting at the back, suddenly pops her little head between the two seats and says, "Oh, I knoooooww now - the name of this song is "Six Bum"!!!

This one time we were driving down to my hometown Mangalore. Husband decided to try a new route to Tumkur Road, which is our primary exit out of the city onto NH 47. He is generally pretty good with directions and so we drove on. But after a while we realized that we didn't seem to be getting anywhere. Finally after circling an area a few times, we stopped to ask for directions. Two very helpful old men told us to go forward 100 mts and at the signal turn left. We could actually see the signal from where were were stopped then considering we had touched the same point 3 times already... as we went forward, a massive tree gave way to one of those direction boards above the signal screamed at us "Tumkur Road"... all we had needed to do was move forward 100 mts forward. Now this was funny the first time... but when it happened on a different route again, it was downright hilarious.

I am not really one for status messages on FB, but the other day, I shared one because I thought everyone I know could use a good laugh - I walked into the bathroom with my recipe book with the intention of baking a cake and realized that I was in the wrong place. Meanwhile husband bangs angrily on his keyboard because it was not working, only to realize he has the desktop's keyboard on his lap when he actually needed the typing done on the laptop which he was staring at!!! Holidays can't come by soon enough.

My husband will kill me if he reads this - there was this one time, long before Anoushka was born and Sundays were meant to just sleep in. We were both cuddled up, with me blissfully dreaming of all things nice when this God awful smell woke me up. I was so groggy and everything seemed so dark for a few seconds, that I panicked. I then realized I had slipped under the blanket. I came up literally choking and kicked husband awake to ask him if some pipe broke somewhere. And he replied, "Oops, I was hoping you weren't under there. I just let off a ripper."!!!!!

A long time ago, when I was still living with my parents, we had a male relative who would come over on occasion, drink a little more than he could handle and then head off to sleep. Unfortunately, his sleeping was never the silent one. He would moan loudly and flail his hands and legs in his sleep. We had two dogs back then - a daschund and a Alsatian-country mix. One night, both doggies were asleep at my feet and uncle was at his moaning best - there was one particular long drawn out moan, and as if one cue both doggies lifted their sleepy heads, howled in response and promptly went back to sleep. I can still think of the look of shock on all our faces and laugh. 

And this last one - I was in full throes of labor - as abusive as it can get, when the nurses came into check me for the umpteenth time. I refused to part my legs and told them to go to hell. They turned to husband who was with me most of the time and told him to help. He lovingly bends down, tells me to listen to the nurses for the sake of the baby whose heartbeat we could hear on the monitor. I believe I pulled him down by the collar and told him to shut up. And my husband tells me that he had a flashback to the Exorcist movie at that point. Labor done, baby out, everyone happy - the matron who was in the labor room tells him to get tea and come - so he was like tea? for Ruth? shouldn't she have juice or something. And she goes - "Oh, the tea is for us, Ruth can't have anything for a while!!!!"

So laughter is the best medicine... and when they are from incidents in your life, you will always have a tendency to think back on them and laugh some more.

3 comments:

C said...

It was sure fun reading through the posts. Thank you for sharing :-)

Aparna said...

I am still chuckling over the last one :).. Good memories and thanks for sharing Ruth!

Swathika said...

OMG! I loved the penultimate one...Imagining the dogs moaning in response...downright hilarious! We do have humour in our lives...its just that we dont jot them in our memories :D