Monday, December 9, 2013

He grit his teeth and bore the pain…

"... just a few more steps and he would be home and then it would be over." Its amazing how when you are in pain, referring to yourself in third person seems to somehow separate you from all the suffering.

There was not a single soul out there who could see the agony I was going through. I knew she wouldn't see or feel my pain at all. She had her music plugged in and was happily trudging along, oblivious to my mute suffering. I had been pierced right through, and the pain was excruciating and yet I was being walked home, one step at a time... with not a care in the world.

Relief was at last in sight... I could see the front door, but wait... why were we stopping. Oh darn, her phone had to ring yet again. "Yes, Yes, uh huh, Yeah, WHAAT! How dare he! I could wring his neck....".... she screamed into the phone. This just meant that the boyfriend messed up again. That spelled doom for me... she stamped up to the front door, kicked it in hard and flung me across the foyer. I bounced off the wall and fell flat. While I lay there groaning in shock, I realized something. The nail that had pierced through me when we were out seemed to have fallen off when I was flung... what a relief. Now if only my aching sides would quit creaking.

Oh goodness no! The family dog is eyeballing me again. How many more times do we have to go through this and how many more times will my screams for help be ignored. He pounced on me, dragged me through the hall kicking and screaming and headed straight for the garden, where he tried to bury me for the umpteenth time. Thankfully, she came to my rescue and yanked me free, but not before I got thoroughly scratched on my side.

I just couldn't catch a break today... off she took me again and this time we were running so fast she didn't pause for a second when I went face first into a pile of dung. No sir, we were to carry on like nothing happened at all. Of course, we were meeting the boyfriend. Screams, yells and several a placation later, all seemed to be good in puppy love land.

We finally got home. No running this time, a simple slow walk in the evening breeze... how nice it felt to slow down. We got home and I was placed in my designated place - Mom didn't like it if she saw me anywhere else. And just when I thought I was done for the day... Mom trooped in, saw the mess I was, picked me up and tossed me into the bin saying, "I need to buy her a new pair of sports shoes tomorrow. These are an absolute mess."

Its a tough life being a pair of shoes on a teenager's legs.  

4 comments:

Monika said...

absolutely loved this Ruth... what a different take :D

C said...

Who would have guessed the end..Uber cool one :-)

Shailaja V said...

Really well written, Ruth:) Beautiful take on the prompt!

Srividya Yiruvanti said...

Haha...loved it...who could but understand a shoe's plight!