While a lot of witty things do find their way into people's taglines, many of them also use their tagline facility to spew venom at others. While the reciever's name may not always feature in the tagline, it is pretty much clear to both the parties involved on what is meant for whom.
I once got a call from a friend who asked me "what in the world did you do to so-and-so person". He was referring to someone I hadn't spoken to in more than a year!!! After a while I realised he was talking of person who was actually placed quite far from my periphery of even acquaintances. The said person and I had a few common friends and that was it. Her tagline for the day read "Shut up Ruth!!". I was sure I was not the Ruth in question, but that did not stop all our mutual friends from calling me up that day.
I have often noticed that taglines have now become a forum where people say things that would not be able or rather don't have the guts to say to another. Its the safest way of hiding behind the anonymity of the web. These are the same people, if you meet face to face will wax eloquent but will not come to the point.
While the anonymity of the web has been well debated, this is just another means that has been added to the arsenal of the gutless. Coming out and saying your thing is so not the in-thing for many.
No comments:
Post a Comment